Who’s ready for school to start? Back to school shopping seems to center around kids, but what about teachers or even parents?
I made my latest wine bags in honor of my sister Sarah, the teacher. She’s headed back to school and I wanted to make sure she had the essentials—red and white of course! Don’t get me wrong, she loves her job as a teacher, but let’s face it, it’s still a job. And a hard job at that. So after a long week of teaching, I know a cocktail is on her mind.
So instead of an apple for teacher, what about a wine bag for teacher? Okay, maybe it’s not a good idea to give this to your child’s teacher (although I’m thinking you’d probably earn your kid an A), but it’s a fun way to recognize your friends who are teachers. Or what about your parent friends? Back to school is an ordeal for parents too!
I created two designs that you can print on iron-on paper to create your own wine bags. Can you believe it’s an iron-on? I promise you, even in person it honestly looks like I screen printed right on the linen. I feel like iron-on technology has come a long way. And it couldn’t be simpler. You just print, cut, iron.
You can use the designs on pre-made canvas wine bags or you can sew your own bags like I did. This is clearly my signature look because I’ve made this white linen wine bag for many holidays. Just search “wine bag” in my search and you’ll see all the other designs.
These would be fun for a teacher back-to-school party as well. I know my sister gets together with her teacher friends to enjoy a last summer-night hurrah before school starts. She could use these wine bags and instantly have party decor.
The design is already a “mirror image” for you, so you just have to print it on your iron-on paper, cut it out and iron it to your favorite wine bag. For this exact look, just follow the below instructions to make your own wine bag.
- FREE Back to School Iron-On Printable
- Iron-on paper
- White linen fabric – one piece 6.5″ x 32″ OR two pieces, size 6.5″ x 16.25″
- Coordinating cotton fabric – 1 piece 12″ x 16″ (I found the black and white print at JoAnn Fabrics)
- 15″ piece of pom pom fringe
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- Print your FREE Back to School Iron-On Printable on your iron-on paper. Cut out the pieces for your bag(s).
- Cut your pieces of fabric according to the above measurements.
- If using two pieces of white linen, sew them together along one of the short sides. If using one piece of white linen, fold your piece of linen in half so your piece measures 6.5″ x 16″.
- Measure 4.5″ from the seam/fold line. Iron-on your Back to School Iron-On Piece so the bottom of the piece aligns with the 4.5″ mark. Follow instruction on the iron-on paper.
- Keeping wrong sides together (your design will be on the outside), top stitch along both 16″ sides using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Fray the edges of your linen fabric, so you have a 1/4″ fringe on all both 16″ sides as well as the top. The fraying will stop when you hit your sewing line. I used a seam riper to help.
- Now you’re going to do the liner and for this you need to remember to fold your fabric RIGHT SIDES together. So fold your coordinating cotton in half, right sides together the long way so your piece measures 6″ x 16″. Sew down the 16″ raw edge and the 6″ raw edge.
- Keep your liner bag so that it is wrong sides out and place inside the outer bag. Align the seam of the liner bag to one of the seams on the outer bag. Fold the inner bag under about 1/2″ and pin in place. Then top stitch together using a 1/8″ to 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Now all you need is a nice bottle of wine! Place your bottle inside the bag and tie shut using your pom pom fringe. Cheers!
Technically, these bags are reversible, so after back to school you can reverse the bag and use the pattern side!
So do you have a friend who would appreciate this back to school shopping gift? I hope so. If you make it, please share on Instagram and tag me: @tonalitydesigns. I love seeing what people make and I often share it on my account.