I have fond memories of my mom brewing oranges, cinnamon and cloves on the stovetop during the holidays so when I had to think of a DIY gift idea for our #Create4Holidays Instagram Design Challenge I thought— Why not potpourri in a jar? And we all know, everything is cuter in a jar! Plus, I created a FREE Gift Tag for you to go with it – so win, win!
After exploring on Pinterest, I embellished what my mom used to in order to have something that not only smelled good, but looked festive in the jar. The end result is something that I think you’ll find are easy to put together and will be fun to give to family and friends. I decided to make a few and just store in the refrigerator until needed. I read that fresh cranberries can last up to 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container. I think this will be perfect to bring as hostess gifts to all the parties we tend to enjoy this time of year. My neighbors may also receive a few.
Christmas Stovetop Potpourri
Ingredients/Supplies (Makes 3 Jars)
- Wide-mouth Mason Jars (Quart Size)
- 3-6 Cutie Oranges (1-2 fit in jar depending on the size of the orange)
- 1 Bag Fresh Cranberries
- Whole Mulling Spices (I used a bag from World Market that could make up to 4 jars. If you don’t have mulling spices, just add a tablespoon of cloves and 5 bay leaves and be sure not to skip the cinnamon sticks.)
- Rosemary Twigs (Totally optional, but looks like Christmas Tree branches!)
- 3-6 Cinnamon Sticks (Option if using a mulling spice that already has cinnamon, but looks so cute. Note: I’ve found they are cheapest at Trader Joe’s and Target or probably a bulk store.)
- Wrapping paper
- Christmas Stovetop Potpourri Gift Tag (FREE Download!)
- Layer ingredients in the jar. Start with the mulling spices (about 1/3 cup) on the bottom, then the cranberries (about 1 cup), then put the rosemary and cinnamon sticks so you can see them on the sides and lastly top off with the oranges.
- Cover lids by gluing on wrapping paper (totally optional). Then tie ribbon around the rims and include the gift tag with instructions for use. You can download the free gift tag here.