Hot chocolate has been the theme in my house for the past few days. I’ve already posted about how I created a Hot Cocoa Bar and Chocolate-Peppermint Marshmallows, and now I’m sharing a Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe with a FREE Gift Tag Printable so you can give it as a Christmas gift this year. I think it would be such a fun stocking stuffer or neighbor gift.
Making your own mix is so easy and ensures you are enjoying an all-natural drink. I adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart. I would just point you to their recipe, but they didn’t describe some crucial steps in their written instructions. You only find them out if you watch the video. Total fail, as I had to redo mine after I saw the video. Oops! I found out sifting is key.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 3 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 1/4 Cups Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
Directions for Mix
- In large bowl, sift your cocoa powder. Sifting your cocoa powder makes sure you don’t have any lumps!
- Add sugar and salt, whisk to combine well.
- Store in airtight container – we used small mason jars (recipe makes enough for 2 1/2 jars). For gift giving, be sure to add our FREE Hot Chocolate Gift Tag Printable so users know how to make their hot chocolate.
Directions for Making Hot Chocolate
- Use milk, preferably whole or 2-percent. Measure 2 tablespoons per cup of milk.
- For one cup, heat your milk in microwave and then stir in the mix.
- For larger batch, heat your milk on the stovetop and as it warms, stir in your mix.