Who doesn’t like to indulge in a cup of hot chocolate this time of year? With that in mind, I came up with some festive marshmallows that pair perfectly with hot chocolate OR simply eat them on their own. I’ve seen these in stores for mega bucks, but thought they would be too easy to make. And guess what? I was right. Easy-peasy my friends.
- Jumbo Marshmallows – These are extra large, bigger than what you usually use for s’mores, and make for a really fun statement.
- Chocolate Melting Wafers or Chips (Target has Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers) – I used about a cup for the bag of marshmallows, but just start with a small bowl and then you can always make more.
- Candy Canes – I used about 9
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (paper makes for easy clean up).
- Crush your candy canes. You can use a food processor OR I found using a hammer worked nicely. I put my candy canes in a ziplock bag, wrapped it in a towel and then hammered away. (Note: you can also buy peppermint already crushed.)
- Melt your chocolate per their instructions.
- Dip your marshmallows in the chocolate and then the peppermint. Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Once the chocolate sets (about 5-10 minutes) your marshmallows are ready to use – or wrap up to give!
These marshmallows were the perfect addition to my Hot Cocoa Bar. This couldn’t be easier to do and would be really fun at any holiday party. I used my collection of milk glass and vintage candy dishes to put out the following toppings:
- Chocolate-peppermint Jumbo Marshmallows
- Chocolate-toffee Pretzel Rods (available at Target)
- Candy Canes
- Whipped Cream
Just have fun with it! You really can’t go wrong with anything you offer.